2017 NEW ENGLAND PREP SCHOOL ALPINE SKIING CLASS A CHAMPIONSHIPS
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2017
HOST:Kimball Union Academy and St Sebastian's School
SITE: Mt. Sunapee, NH
Information for participating schools
Kimball Union Academy:
Mt. Sunapee Contact:
Jill Firstbrook, Alpine Coordinator
Directions to Mt. Sunapee
- Team size is 3-5 boys, 3-5 girls. Be sure to indicate your racers in desired seed order for all 4 events (boys SL, boys GS, girls SL, girls GS).
- Please list all coaches attending.
- Entry fee is $50 per athlete.
Make check payable to Mount Sunapee
Please mail these to the attention of Jill Firstbrook Mount Sunapee PO BOX 2021, Newbury, NH 03255 . Or, you may bring your team’s fee with you to registration on race day morning. If you plan to have more than 5 racers participate over the course of each gender’s two races, each racer has to be charged the $50 fee.
- Coaches should bring a copy of the Mount Sunapee Release of Liability for each racer to registration, as competitors will not be allowed to race unless these are submitted. In the case of boarding students, the head coach may sign for any athlete on the team who is a minor.
- Family members of racers who wish to ski at Mount Sunapee the day of the race will be offered tickets at the reduced rate of $37 on Wednesday as a 2 for 1 special available at any ticket window or Snow Day $45.00 at Guest services. At the Guest Services, indicate you are part of the NEPSAC event.
- Look for signs directing you to a particular portion of the Lodge for registration where each team will pick up their envelope. This will contain bibs, running orders, lift tickets and a copy of NEPSAC Alpine Ski Racing rules (these can also be found on the prepskiing.org website).
- Coaches will be responsible for returning their team’s bibs, in numerical order, to the 1st floor of the Spruce lodge at the conclusion of the afternoon race.
- Bibs will stay with their respective teams for the entire day. It will be the responsibility of each team’s coaches to see that the bibs are given to the appropriate athlete for each race.
Races will be running one after another . 1st run Women’s Giant Slalom 1st Run men Giant Slalom. 2nd Run Women, 2nd Run Men. Slalom: Women 1st run followed by 2nd Run. Mens’s Slalom will start at the completion of Women’s SL race.
- Scoreboards for each race will be located at the end of the race’s finish corral.
- At the conclusion of the second run of each race, all gatekeeper cards will be collected and be reviewed with the TD and the report of all DQ’s in both races will be posted at the Scoreboard at the bottom of Eggbeater Slope timing building after each race. Once these are posted, coaches will have a 15-minute period in which to submit a formal protest. After the protest period has expired, the disqualifications will be applied and the results will become official.
USSA rules will be used where there is a question in NEPSAC rules. To file a Protest within the 15 minute protest period, the protest can be done verbally, then followed by a written protest and a Fee of $75 must be presented to the jury.
Some reminders of NEPSAC ski championships rules and procedures:
- No racers may run the course or shadow it during their inspection. To do so risks immediate disqualification.
- All racers are expected to be at the start at the proper time. Racers who miss their start will run at the end of the order.
- GS/SL: A racer who has a binding release in the course is an automatic DNF. However, if a racer loses one ski after passing the second to last gate on the course, she or he may attempt to complete the race on one ski.
- SL: If a racer misses a gate and chooses to climb, she or he must cross the horizontal plane for a closed gate with tips of skis and feet or loop around the pole in either direction of a single pole gate. If the athlete is overtaken they are a DNF and must yield to the skier passing them.
- If a racer feels his or her run has been interfered with, she or he must ski out of the course where the infraction occurs. No protest will be allowed if the racer completes the course and/or crosses through the finish line. The racer must then ski to the finish area and await the decision of race officials as to whether or not a (provisional) rerun will be granted.
- DQ’s will be posted at the end of the 2nd run. With a 15 minute protest period. Racers who DNF or clearly DSQ in the 1st run will not race the 2nd run
- We generally follow USSA race rules, with some exceptions. We will have a jury consisting of Chief of Race, a TD and Referee for each gender. Referees will be appointed in advance from the pool of coaches attending the race.
- Hard-ear helmets are required for all athletes competing in the Giant Slalom.
- The sum of the place points for each team’s fastest three finishers in each event will be totaled to determine overall order of team finish. If there is a tie between teams on place points, the tiebreaker will be each team’s three times added together, the lower/lowest cumulative total earning the highest. Should there be a tie in the overall finish after both events, then the times counted for scoring in both the GS and SL will be totaled to break that tie.
7:00 AM – Registration opens in the Spruce Cafeteria
7:30 AM – Coaches’ meeting in the Spruce lobby race
8:00 AM – Gatekeepers’ meeting in the Spruce lobby
8:00 AM –North Peak Triple Chair opens for racers
8:15-8:30 AM – GS Course Entry for Inspection – Lynx race trail
8:45AM – Course closed
9:00 AM – First Run Girl’s giant slalom on Lynx.
Boys to follow immediately.
Second run to begin immediately following first run. Jury will make minor adjustments as needed(reverse order within seed for second run).
12:00pm- Inspection for SL Opens- Course is closed until 12:00 noon
Violation will result in DSQ
11:30-12:30 SL Training at Lower Goose set by School TBA
12:30 PM – First Run Girls’ Slalom on Eggbeater –on skiers left
2nd run will be immediately following 1st run
(reverse order within seed for 1st run, second run bib order).
First Run Boys Slalom: immediately following the end of women’s race Eggeater skiers right – Second run will immediately follow the first (reverse order within seed for 1 st run second run)
3:30 PM – Awards presented outside of the Eggbeater Score Board Timing Building (weather permitting)
Note #1: Please note that all start times listed above are estimates. Check scoreboards for any time changes as the day progresses.
Note #2: The first run of the morning races will follow bib order, with numbers within each seed being reversed for second runs. In the second race of the day, the start order will be the same as the second run in the morning, with the final run of the day again following bib order. Please remember to remind your racers of this.
1. Belmont Hill (boys only)
3. Cardigan Mt. (boys only)
5. Eaglebrook (boys only)
8. Kents Hill
9. Kimball Union
11. Noble & Greenough
12. Northfield-Mt. Hermon
15. St. Paul's
11. St. Sebastian's (boys only)